Divorce is a difficult process for any family, but it can be especially hard on teenagers. They may not fully understand what is happening and they may feel like they are to blame. If you are a parent who is going through a divorce, here are some things you can tell your teen to help them through this tough time.
So you’ve hired the best divorce lawyers Sydney has to offer and they’re now doing their job. It’s on you to make your children feel worse than they’re possibly feeling already.
What teen children could possibly feel when their parents are going through a divorce:
- ‘My parents are getting a divorce. Did I do something to cause this?’
- ‘I’m so angry at my mom/dad for doing this to our family.’
- ‘I’ll never be able to trust anyone again. Love isn’t real.’
- ‘I don’t want to choose sides between my parents. This is too hard.’
What can parents tell their teens to make them feel better?
- ‘It’s not your fault. Your parents love you very much and this decision has nothing to do with you at all.
- ‘Your parents will still be there for you. We will always be your mom and dad, no matter what.’
- ‘This is a difficult time for everyone, but things will get better. You will surely be able to trust and love again.
- ‘Your parents will always love you no matter what happens. We just can’t stay married to each other.’
Going through a divorce is tough on everyone involved, but, as mentioned earlier, it could be especially hard on teenagers. If you are a parent who is going through a divorce, tell your teen that it’s not their fault, that they will always be your mom or dad, that things will get better and that you will always love them no matter what. These things will help your teen through this tough time.
What is the role of the lawyer during this time?
A lawyer can help you and your family in a few different ways. They can:
- Help you negotiate a fair divorce settlement with your spouse
- Represent you in court if necessary
- Make sure that all the paperwork is filed correctly and on time
- Provide the necessary guidance and support throughout the entire process
If you are going through a divorce, don’t hesitate to reach out to a lawyer for help. They can make the divorce process much easier for you and your family.
You can also reach out to friends or family members who have been through a divorce for guidance and support. They can offer helpful advice based on their own experiences. There are also many online resources available that can provide information and support.
No one gets married expecting to get divorced. But if it does happen, know that you are not alone and there is support available to help you through this tough time.
Do you have other pieces of advice to parents who are going through a divorce? Let us know in the comments below.