Fashion Designing is a specialized art that entails researching and analyzing fashion and market trends, techniques & tools, understanding customers, socio-cultural factors, clothing & fabric trends and materials etc. so as to be able to have an inspiration for ideation, conceptualization, planning, designing and crafting of customized apparels, clothing and accessories like handbags, jewellery and footwear etc.
The fashion Designer is responsible for creating sketches as well as drawings using CAD, getting the concept approved and then collaborates with teams from the production department along with other suppliers to get the prototypes done to check the throw of the fabric and other design elements. Once everything is approved, he is accountable for coordinating with stakeholders and other departments including retail, distribution, marketing etc. so as to ensure the success of the collection and thereby achieve the revenues.
Responsibilities of Fashion Designer:
- Market Research and analysis of consumer tastes, fashion trends & styles, fabrics, techniques & materials etc. besides meeting other designers and manufacturers, attending fashion shows & trade shows so as to get inspiration to visualize innovative collections but also to stay relevant.
- Sketching & Designing: As per the client brief, the fashion designer conceives new distinct designs and then sketches them for initial discussions. On securing approval on initial discussion, computer-aided design tools (CAD) are utilized by him to create a blueprint. This blueprint showcases the use of apt textures, patterns and colours etc. and is shared with stakeholders and allied departments for creating prototypes and final manufacturing.
- Selecting materials: He is also accountable for identifying and selecting the apt material (fabric) inappropriate texture, colour and pattern in accordance with his style, client brief, his design concept, socio-cultural trend and sustainability etc. He also needs to ensure continuity along with design accuracy.
- Marketing, Sales & Finance: He collaborates with the Marketing and sales department to ensure success as well as demand. He also works with the financial team to recommend pricing for the entire range, thereby enhancing revenues.
Top 3 Career Options after Masters in Fashion Designing
On completion of Masters in Fashion Designing, doors to many opportunities open up, but we are listing the following top three options:
Fashion Designer: He is a professional who uses his imagination and artistic ability to visualize and design a concept for apparels collection and customized clothing or accessories like Jewellery, Handbags Footwear etc. Usually, they specialize in one area of clothing like sportswear, Haute Couture Fashion and children’s wear etc. or the type of accessories. They have to keep abreast with the latest fashion trends, techniques, materials, tools etc. so as to stay relevant. Not only this, but they also must be able to predict the future fashion trends so that the collection they conceptualized is a success and generate revenue.
Fashion Stylist: Utilizing their knowledge of fashion and creative skills, a Fashion Stylist is responsible for creating visually appealing, attractive and awe-inspiring displays and outfits that enhance the brand image as well as deliver a message to the target audience. He is also accountable for identifying & selecting the apt fabric, accessories, hairstyle and wardrobe for the fashion shows, photo shoots, attending varied events etc. This is a high pressured role that requires strong communication and networking skills for you not only must solve problems & thrive on being busy, but also work with multiple agencies as well as people for accomplishing your objective. Different types of stylists are:
- Still life
- Blogging/social media.
Textile Designer: He is responsible for creating two-dimensional designs or patterns for woven, knitted or printed fabrics. He must have an eye for colours, patterns, textures etc. and must be brilliant in artistic ability, sketching and visualizing. He usually specializes in either of the following two key fields of textile:
- Interior Fabrics- such as carpets, furnishings & upholstery
- Fashion Fabrics
Register now and seek an exciting career in fashion.