If you’re anything like me, the thought of traveling fills you with a sense of excitement and adventure. As much as I love to explore new places, though, I don’t want to have to worry about sacrificing my fitness goals in the process. That’s why I’ve come up with these six tips for staying in shape while traveling — so you can enjoy your vacation without having to worry about undoing all your hard work!
1. Pledge to Make Healthy Choices
The first step to staying on track while you travel is to make a pledge to yourself that you’ll choose healthy options whenever possible. This doesn’t mean that you have to forego all your favorite foods—after all, part of the fun of traveling is trying new things!
It does mean that you should try to balance indulgences with healthier choices, though. For instance, if you know you’re going to want dessert, order a lighter entrée; or if you’re planning on having a few drinks, make sure to drink plenty of water in between.
2. Pack a Nutrient-Packed Breakfast
If you’re going to be on the go all day, it’s important to make sure you start your day off right with a nutritious breakfast. I like to pack protein shakes and other high-nutrient, non-perishable meals that I can easily grab and go. This ensures that I’m getting the nutrition my body needs without having to sacrifice taste or convenience.
3. Plan Your Meals Ahead of Time
One of the worst things you can do when trying to eat healthy while traveling is to wait until you’re so hungry that you throw all caution to the wind. To avoid this, I like to plan my meals ahead of time by looking at menus online and deciding what I’m going to order before I even get to the restaurant. This way, I’m less likely to make impulsive (and often unhealthy) choices when I’m feeling famished.
4. Take Your Training Online
If you’re worried about staying on track with your workout routine while you’re away from home, sign up for a program that offers online support so you can always stay on track. There are a number of great options out there, so do some research to find one that’s right for you.
5. Stroll or Cycle Through the Scenery
One of the best ways to see a new place is on foot, so make sure to take the stairs and stroll or cycle through scenic routes whenever possible. Not only will you get your heart rate up, but you’ll also get to explore your destination in a truly unique way.
6. Set Yourself Up For Restful Sleep
Set yourself up for success by not only booking accommodations with delicious and nutritious cuisine on hand but ones that are quiet and comfortable. This will help ensure that you’re able to get the restful sleep you need to recharge and stay fit while you’re on the go. If you tend to stay awake in unfamiliar places, I also recommend taking a natural sleep supplement to help you sleep soundly through the night.
Bonus Tips for Travelers Who Strive to Stay Healthy
Now that you know how to stay healthy while traveling, it’s time to start planning your next adventure! Here are a few of the healthiest vacation spots I’ve come across:
- Maui, Hawaii: With its stunning beaches and lush tropical forests, Maui is the perfect place to get away from it all and recharge your batteries.
- Jackson Hole, Wyoming: If you’re looking for a more active vacation, Jackson Hole is the perfect spot for hiking, biking, and exploring the great outdoors.
- Asheville, North Carolina: This charming mountain town is known for its abundance of natural beauty and healthy lifestyle options.
- San Miguel de Allende, Mexico: This historic city is the perfect place to relax and enjoy some of the best food and culture in Mexico.
- Da Nang, Vietnam: This coastal city is perfect for those who want to enjoy beautiful beaches, hiking spots, and delicious seafood.
I’ve found that the easiest way to stay on track is to feed my mind the same high-quality stuff I feed my body. Podcasts are a great way to do that—especially when you’re on the go! Here are a few that have helped me stay focused on my goals as I trot the globe:
- The Tim Ferriss Show: In each episode, Tim interviews world-class performers across a wide range of fields, from athletes to entrepreneurs to artists, and extracts the tactics, tools, and routines they use to achieve success.
- The School of Greatness: In this podcast, host Lewis Howes interviews some of the most successful people in the world and breaks down what makes them tick.
- The Tony Robbins Podcast: In this podcast, world-renowned life and business strategist Tony Robbins shares actionable tips and advice on how to achieve success in all areas of your life.
If you’re looking for some motivation to help you stay on track with your health and fitness goals while traveling, these resources are a great place to start.
Whether you’re planning your next vacation or just trying to stay healthy on the road, I hope you find these tips helpful. So, what are you waiting for? Start planning your next trip today—and stay healthy! Bon voyage.